Thank you for visiting the New Hampshire Fish and Game Department website. NH Fish and Game



Waterfowl Hunting in NH


Waterfowl hunting is a long-standing tradition in New Hampshire, with opportunities from coastal waters to the North Country.


To hunt waterfowl in New Hampshire, you are required to have a Migratory Waterfowl License and a current NH Hunting, Combination or Small Game License (available at any Fish and Game license agent), as well as a Federal Waterfowl Stamp. You also are required to have a free Harvest Information Program (H.I.P.) Survey permit number.


Note on Federal Waterfowl Stamps: The Federal Waterfowl Stamp is regulated by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, not the State of New Hampshire. We have been made aware that many U.S. Post Offices do not carry the Federal Waterfowl Stamp or are out of them. You can order the federal stamps at: or you can purchase them at NH Fish and Game Headquarters in Concord.


  • BANDED BIRDS: Report all banded birds at or by sending your information to: Bird Banding Lab, 12100 Beach Forest Road, Laurel, MD 20708.  The call center supporting the 1-800-327-BAND toll-free phone number was discontinued on June 30, 2017.  People calling this toll-free number will be directed to report their bird bands using the website or by mail.  We rely heavily on your cooperation in reporting banded birds to help in their management, and we would like to thank you for your continued support in this effort.
  • Shooting hours are from 1/2 hour before sunrise to sunset.
  • Waterfowl hunters must obtain a federal duck stamp and a New Hampshire Migratory Waterfowl License, in addition to a New Hampshire hunting license.
  • Avian Influenza - AI is a potential risk in waterfowl, and bird hunters in general should exercise some common practices to prevent exposure.
  • Black Duck Management PDF Document
  • Ducks at a Distance - A Waterfowl Identification Guide PDF Document
  • Counting on Spring PDF Document - Read about how biologists band ducks for the annual Atlantic Flyway Breeding Waterfowl Plot Survey – from NH Wildlife Journal magazine.
  • See also: