Registering your OHRVSnowmobiling in NH

All snowmobiles and OHRVs must be registered if operated in New Hampshire off the owner's property. A registration is a privilege to ride off of your own property on approved trails or with written landowner permission. There are no additional trail user fees in New Hampshire. Snowmobile registration fees are discounted for members of New Hampshire snowmobile clubs. (To find a club, visit the N.H. Snowmobile Association at or call 603-273-0220.)

Have a question about registering your OHRV? Email

Where to register

Individuals may register at any of the OHRV registration agents located throughout the state, and must apply in person. Registrations also may be purchased at Fish and Game headquarters or through the mail by contacting Fish and Game at 603-271-4300.

Registration Fees and Current Rules

Registration fees and current rules are outlined in the current OHRV/Snowmobile Digest of Regulations - to download, click here and on the publication cover. There you'll find snowmobile, ATV and trail bike registration fees, rules, as well as other information, such as guidelines for reporting accidents or stolen snowmobiles. Please note that this publication is only a summary of New Hampshire Off Highway Recreational Vehicle laws and current fees; it is not the complete law or rules. The official rules may be examined at: Administrative Procedures Division; Office of Legislative Services; State House, Concord, New Hampshire.

Tracked OHRV Registration Requirements

As of July 1, 2012, in order to operate on state-approved snowmobile trails, an OHRV (wheeled vehicle) that has had the wheels or tires removed and replaced with tracks, cleats or skis, MUST be properly registered in New Hampshire as a snowmobile.

The tracked OHRV must meet the definition of a snowmobile as defined by law.

The OHRV, with the tracks on, cannot exceed 54 inches in width and 1,200 pounds.

If operating as a wheeled vehicle, a New Hampshire OHRV registration is required.

Machines operated as a tracked OHRV on snowmobile trails in the winter, and as a wheeled OHRV, must be dually registered in New Hampshire; both an OHRV and snowmobile registration are required. Both sets of decal stickers must be displayed on the machine.

Do I need a title or bill of sale?

The New Hampshire Fish and Game Department is the state agency responsible for the registration of Off Highway Recreational Vehicles and snowmobiles. The state of New Hampshire does not title Off Highway Recreational Vehicles or snowmobiles nor does it maintain any records of title or liens on these types of vehicles. A title, bill of sale or previous registration is not required to register an Off Highway Recreational Vehicle or snowmobile.

Although a bill of sale is not required to register in New Hampshire, when buying or selling a machine, it is recommended that a bill of sale is completed with the following information included:

  1. Date of sale
  2. Vehicle year of manufacture
  3. Vehicle make
  4. Vehicle model
  5. Vehicle engine size (cc)
  6. Vehicle color
  7. Vehicle identification number
  8. Seller’s name, address and signature
  9. Buyer’s name, address and signature

It is also recommended that a buyer verify the VIN on the bill of sale against the machine itself.  N.H. Fish and Game does not verify or give out registration or machine information unless an individual is requesting his or her own registration information.

When a transfer of ownership has taken place, the registration and decals on the machine are no longer valid; the new owner would need to register the machine in their own name.

How to Place your OHRV Registration Decal

Click here for OHRV Decal Placement Instructions.

Please note: Vanity and temporary OHRV Registrations are no longer available.


About Us
NH Fish and Game Dept.
11 Hazen Drive
Concord, NH 03301

top bottom background image