Karina Walsh: 603-271-3212
Lisa Collins: 603-271-3212
December 10, 2012
Winter 2013 Ice Fishing Classes Offered
CONCORD, N.H. – The temperatures are dropping, and lakes and ponds are beginning to freeze over -- tell-tale signs that Old Man Winter is almost here. Once the hustle and bustle of the holiday season is over, why not get outside and enjoy the New Hampshire winter by taking an ice fishing class?
The New Hampshire Fish and Game Department’s Let’s Go Fishing Program, in partnership with other groups, will be offering several ice fishing classes open to the public this winter. Classes are free unless otherwise noted. They are open to anyone, however, those 16 and under are encouraged to be accompanied by an adult. Be sure to call ahead to reserve your space:
- Lebanon Recreation Department – Three-part course on Tuesdays, January 15 and 22, 2013, from 5:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m.; and Saturday, January 26, 2013, from 9:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. Visit https://webtrac.lebcity.com, or call (603) 448-5121 sign up or for more information.
- Greenland Recreation Department – One-day workshop on Sunday, January 20, 2013, from 8:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Visit www.greenlandrec.com to sign up and to get more information.
- Riley Brothers Lumber, Milford – Three-part Saturday course on January 26 and February 2, 2013, from 1:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.; and February 9, 2013, from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Contact Dale Riley, at daytime (Tuesday through Friday) 603-673-2987 or evenings at 603-673-4036.
- Haverhill Recreation Department – Three-part course on Wednesdays, January 30 and February 6, 2013, 5:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m.; and Saturday, February 9, 2013, from 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. Call 603-787-6096 for more information.
- Laconia Recreation Department – One-day workshop on Saturday, February 2, 2013, from 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Call 603-524-5046 to sign up or for more information.
- Amoskeag Fishways, Manchester – Two-part class on Friday, February 15, 2013, from 6:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.; and Saturday, February 16, 2013, from 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 noon. Contact the Amoskeag Fishways at 603-626-3474 for more information.
All the ice fishing classes include a hands-on indoor session where students learn about ice fishing equipment, safety practices and winter ecology of lakes and ponds; plus a field trip where students head out to a local pond and put their newly learned skills to the test!
New Hampshire Fish and Game’s "Let's Go Fishing" program has taught thousands of children and adults to be safe, ethical and successful anglers. Find out more at http://www.fishnh.com/Fishing/lets_go_fishing.htm. The program is federally funded through the Sport Fish Restoration Program.
The New Hampshire Fish and Game Department works to conserve, manage and protect the state's fish and wildlife and their habitats, as well as providing the public with opportunities to use and appreciate these resources. Visit fishnh.com.
- ### -