Karina Walsh: 603-271-3212
Jane Vachon: 603-271-3211
December 14, 2011
Winter 2012 Ice Fishing Classes Offered
CONCORD, N.H. – Temperatures are dropping, and lakes and ponds are beginning to freeze over -- tell-tale signs that Old Man Winter is almost here. Once the hustle and bustle of the holiday season is over, why not get outside and enjoy the New Hampshire winter by taking an ice fishing class?
The New Hampshire Fish and Game Department’s Let’s Go Fishing Program, in partnership with other groups, will be offering several ice fishing classes open to the public this winter. Classes are free unless otherwise noted. Be sure to call ahead to reserve your space:
- Lebanon Recreation Department – Three-part course on Tuesdays, January 17 and 24, 2012, from 5:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m.; and Saturday, January 28, , 2012, from 9:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. To register, visit https://webtrac.lebcity.com (use Code # 37701A) or call 603-448-5121.
- Greenland Recreation Department – One-day workshop on Sunday, January 22, 2012, from 8:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. To register, visit www.greenlandrec.com.
- Riley Brothers Lumber, Milford – Three-part Saturday course on January 28 and February 4, 2012, from 1:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.; and February 11, 2012, from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Contact Dale Riley, days (Tuesday through Friday) at 603-673-2987 or evenings at 603-673-4036.
- Haverhill Recreation Department – Three-part course on Thursdays, February 2 and 9, 2012, 5:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m.; and Saturday February 11, 2012, from 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. To register, call 603-787-6096.
- Lancaster (North Country Resource Center, 629 Main Street) -- One-day workshop on Saturday, February 4, 2012. Free beginner class for youth age 8 and older. Must be accompanied by an adult. Bring lunch. To register, call Coös County 4-H at 603-788-4961.
- Laconia Recreation Department – One-day workshop on Saturday, February 4, 2012, from 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. To register, call 603-524-5046.
- Amoskeag Fishways, Manchester – Two-part class on Friday, February 24, 2012, from 6:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.; and Saturday, February 25, 2012, from 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 noon. Contact the Amoskeag Fishways at 603-626-3474 for more information.
All the ice fishing classes include a hands-on indoor session where you'll learn about ice fishing equipment, safety and practices, and winter ecology of lakes and ponds; plus a field trip where you'll head out to a local pond and put your newly learned skills to the test! Classes are open to anyone, however, those 16 and under are encouraged to be accompanied by an adult.
New Hampshire Fish and Game’s “Let's Go Fishing” program has taught thousands of children and adults to be safe, ethical and successful anglers. Find out more at www.fishnh.com/Fishing/lets_go_fishing_class_schedule.htm.
The Let's Go Fishing program is federally funded through the Sport Fish Restoration Program, supported by an excise tax on fishing equipment and motorboat fuels.
The New Hampshire Fish and Game Department works to conserve, manage and protect the state's fish and wildlife and their habitats, as well as providing the public with opportunities to use and appreciate these resources. Visit http://www.fishnh.com.
- ### -