Bookmark and Share

Conservation Officer Matthew Holmes
Conservation Officer Glen Lucas
Region One Office, Lancaster, NH: 603-788-4850 or 603-271-3361
February 25, 2013

Conservation Officers Cover Multiple Rescue Calls During Busy Weekend

LANCASTER, N.H. -- With the arrival of mild temperatures, fresh snow and vacation crowds, New Hampshire Fish and Game Department Conservation Officers were kept busy throughout the day and night of Saturday, February 23, 2013.

In the early morning hours of Saturday, February 23, 2013, Conservation Officer Matt Holmes was alerted to a single vehicle snowmobile accident along Corridor 5 in the town of Lancaster.  James Petersen of Hudson, NH, lost control of his snowmobile in a corner, causing the machine to leave the trail and crash into the trees. Petersen was uninjured.

About 1:45 p.m. the same day, Conservation Officer Lt. Douglas Gralenski and Conservation Officer Matt Holmes were alerted to a two-machine snowmobile accident in the Zealand area of Twin Mountain.  While responding to the scene on snowmobile, another call came in regarding a distress signal from a personal locator beacon that had been activated on Mt. Washington.  Conservation Officer Lt. James Goss was followed up on the little bit of known information, eventually determining that the personal locator beacon was associated with a hiker who had sustained a leg injury near Lion’s Head on Mt. Washington. It was also learned that the hiker had been able to make it safely to the Pinkham Notch AMC Visitor’s Center after activating the beacon.

Once at the scene of the two-snowmobile accident in Twin Mountain, Fish and Game officers learned that Maria Alves of Marston Mills, Massachusetts, had lost control of the rental snowmobile that she was riding.  This caused a collision with a snowmobile operated by Brad Peadro of Virginia Beach, Virginia.  Alves sustained injuries as a result of the crash, but was able to ride on a snowmobile with her tour guide to the Zealand parking lot on Route 302 in Twin Mountain.  Alves was subsequently transported by Twin Mountain Ambulance to Littleton Regional Hospital for further evaluation and treatment.

At 6:30 p.m., CO Holmes and CO Lt. Gralenski were again called about a group of hikers stranded in Huntington Ravine on Mt. Washington.  Information was forwarded through the Appalachian Mountain Club to US Forest Service Snow Rangers, who lead Search and Rescue operations in this area during the winter.

At 8:15 p.m. on February 23, 2013, Colebrook Police Department received a 911 ambulance call regarding a single snowmachine crash on Lake Umbagog in Cambridge, NH.  Twenty-two year old Ashley Devost of Milan had been operating a snowmobile on Lake Umbagog while ice fishing with friends.  At the time of the crash, the visibility was very poor due to snow and darkness.  Devost struck the shoreline of the lake, ejecting her onto land. Devost laid there for over an hour, as the poor visibility made it difficult for her friends to find her when she did not return after leaving for a short ride.

Errol Fire and Rescue, along with 45th Parallel EMS, responded to the scene and transported Devost to the Upper Connecticut Valley Hospital in Colebrook.  New Hampshire Fish and Game Conservation Officers also responded to the scene and the hospital. Due to the severity of Devost’s injuries, she was transported by ambulance, after initial care, to Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical Center for further treatment.& Neither DHART nor Maine Medical could fly because of the inclement weather.

No further information is available at this time.

- ### -

About Us
NH Fish and Game Dept.
11 Hazen Drive
Concord, NH 03301

top bottom background image