Hunter Ed FAQs

Frequently asked questions about Hunter and Trapper Education in New Hampshire:

What does it cost to take Hunter Education?
  • Traditional courses: Instructors may charge $5 per student to cover the use of facilities and minor expenses.
  • Online course: Each student must pay a $15 fee to take the New Hampshire Field Day Qualifier Exam.
  • What are the age requirements for Hunter Education?
    To receive a certificate of completion in a traditional hunter or trapper education course, you must be at least 12 years old by the completion of the course. To take the online hunter education course, students must be at least 15 years of age, or older. Youth hunters should try to complete a hunter education course sometime between the age of 12 and their 16th birthday.
    What will I learn in Hunter Education?
    Fish and Game's Hunter Education Course is more than a "gun safety" class. The mandatory course consists of classroom instruction, field experiences and firing on a shooting range. Each course is taught by trained, certified volunteer instructors and the local conservation officer. The course covers the following topics:
    • Firearms identification, safety and handling
    • Hunter ethics and responsibility
    • Outdoor safety and survival skills
    • Introduction to specialty hunting (archery, crossbow and muzzleloader)
    • Wildlife identification and management
    • Game recovery and care
    • NH hunting laws

    Students in the "traditional" Hunter Ed course are provided with a course manual, wildlife ID guide, outdoor survival information and additional handouts. Courses involve lecture, demonstrations, small group activities, a live fire experience, written exam and practical field test. The average course length is 16 hours.

    The online course involves a self-paced program of study, accessible from any computer with web access; an online exam; and a Field Day - see sample description below.

    Firearm ID and nomenclature, actions and ammo (5 groups rotate thru each station, 10 min. ea.)

        • 5 sample action-type stations w/dummy ammo
        • Firearm ID, nomenclature, loading/unloading practice
        • Cartridge/Shotshell components, matching, & safety

    Firearm handling, carries and obstacle crossing (2 groups, outside)

        • Zones of Fire
        • Safe handling/passing a firearm to another person
        • Safe carries (two-hand, trail, sling, elbow, cradle, shoulder)
        • Safe obstacle crossings with 1 and 2 hunters

    Laws presentation with Conservation Officer. Specialty topics (tree stand safety, muzzleloader safety, turkey hunting safety).

    Basic Map and Compass: Learn about compass components and functions, taking a bearing on a landmark; setting compass to given bearing.

    Written Exam

    Field Exam: Live Fire and Practical Field Test ( Students are tested on shoot/don’t shoot scenarios, matching ammunition and firearms, safe firearms handling and crossing obstacles). Provisions will be made for people with reading difficulties and/or physical disabilities.

    What if my Certification Card is lost or destroyed?
    If you have previously passed a New Hampshire Hunter or Trapper Education course, every effort will be made to issue a replacement card. In cases where we have no record of you taking the course, we cannot issue a replacement and the course will have to be taken again. If you have taken the course in another state, you need to contact that state for a duplicate. We do not fax copies of cards. Please provide the following information:
    • Full name (and middle initial if applicable)
    • Present mailing address
    • Date of birth
    • Daytime phone number

    Click here for a printable request form to send to the Hunter Education Office.

    How do I contact the Hunter Education office?
    The Hunter Education office is housed at 11 Hazen Drive, Concord, N.H., in Building #2. As you enter the parking lot at Fish and Game headquarters, at the STOP sign, turn right into the small parking lot. The office door is the first on the right; look for the Hunter Education and Aquatic Education sign. The phone number is (603) 271-3214.
    The Federal Aid in Wildlife Restoration Act makes hunter education in New Hampshire possible. Here's how it works:
    Excise taxes are collected from the sales of firearms, ammunition and archery equipment. These funds are distributed to state agencies to conduct research, manage wildlife populations, protect habitat andSFWR conduct hunter education programs. Volunteer hunter education instructor time (hours) is used as "match" funding, enabling Fish and Game to receive federal funds to cover the costs of coordinating the Hunter Education Program. So the next time you buy a gun, ammunition or archery equipment, remember you're helping to fund wildlife management and hunter education. Educating safe, ethical and responsible hunters wouldn't be nearly as successful as it is without the Federal Aid in Wildlife Restoration Act.

    About Us
    NH Fish and Game Dept.
    11 Hazen Drive
    Concord, NH 03301

    top bottom background image