N.H. Youth Hunt Weekend for Deer
Patrick Higginbottom of Weare, N.H., took his first deer during a NH Youth Deer Weekend. He is so proud of his 120 lb., 6- pointer. Patrick was dedicated enough to hunt in the rain! Boy, did it pay off!!!
New Hampshire's Youth Deer Weekend is Saturday and Sunday, Oct. 25 and 26, 2014.
The following rules apply during the youth hunt weekend:
- Youths must be under 16 years of age;
- Open to resident and nonresident youths, however, nonresident youth are eligible ONLY if their state of residence allows New Hampshire youth to participate in its youth hunt.
- Youths must be accompanied by a licensed adult 18 years of age or older;
- Adults who accompany youth hunters must possess a current hunting license and may not carry a firearm or assist in taking the deer other than to supervise;
- Each licensed adult may accompany up to two youths under 16 years of age;
- A deer of either sex is legal statewide;
- Youths are entitled to their own bag limit of game. Any deer taken shall constitute the one deer allowed by muzzleloader or regular firearms per year.
- All deer must be registered, as required during the regular season. Youths should tag their deer using the tag inside the current N.H. Hunting Digest (to download from our website, click here and on the publication cover);
- Youths and accompanying adults must comply with all Fish and Game laws relative to hunting deer.
Participating in the youth hunting weekend for deer is a great way for hunters to introduce young people to the hunting tradition. It gives youth a chance to hunt deer without the pressure of competing with thousands of other hunters in the woods.
So share your love of hunting by taking a kid out on the youth weekend. You can spend some memorable time together, at the same time you pass on your own appreciation of hunting lore, ethics and our outdoor environment. Because there won't be other firearms deer hunters in the field that day, youth have a better chance of succeeding in getting a deer than during the regular season. We hope you'll take advantage of this exciting opportunity to introduce a new generation of hunters to deer hunting.