Each year, hunters in New Hampshire have the opportunity to purchase special permits to take additional anterless deer in Wildlife Management Unit M. (Click here for WMU M boundaries.)
2013 Unit M Permit Sales
Up to 4,000 hunters will be able to purchase Special Antlerless Deer Permits for WMU M in 2013. At the time of purchase, hunters may opt for a permit with 1 deer tag ($13) or two deer tags ($26). After sales commence on July 1, permits will be sold on a first-come, first-served basis, while supplies last.
After July 1, Unit M permits may be purchased:
Why are Special Unit M Antlerless Only deer permits
The special Unit M antlerless-only permits have been issued by Fish and Game since 1997 in an effort to stabilize the size of the deer herd in southeastern New Hampshire and minimize deer-human conflicts such as vehicle collisions and destructive browsing of ornamental plants. High deer densities and development make potential deer-human conflicts of greater concern in this region.
Unit M Application Guidelines:
- In 2013, up to 4,000 hunters will be able to purchase Special Antlerless Deer Permits for WMU M. At the time of purchase, hunters may opt for a permit with 1 deer tag ($13) or two deer tags ($26).
- Permits are sold on a first-come, first-served basis, while supplies last.
M permits may be purchased online, at N.H. Fish and Game headquarters
in Concord, by using a mail-in application, or by calling 603-271-3422 to request a mail-in application.
- You must have a current New Hampshire hunting or archery license to apply.
- You may apply only once each year. Incomplete, illegible and duplicate applications will not be considered.
- The permit is for taking antlerless deer only.
- Deer may be taken in Unit M by any legal method during the
muzzleloader, firearms or archery season, as follows:
- an archery license is required to take a deer with a bow and arrow during the archery season;
- a muzzleloader license and a regular firearms hunting license are required to take a deer with a muzzleloader during the muzzleloader season; and
- a regular firearms hunting license is required to take a deer with a firearm during the regular firearms season.
- You may not take more than one deer at a time. If you are using a Special Unit M Permit, the first deer taken must be registered before you try to take another deer.
- Youth hunters (under age 16) may buy the special permits (click here for more details on youth hunting).
- Permit is valid ONLY in Wildlife Management Unit M. Unit M boundaries are described below.
Boundaries of Wildlife Management Unit M*
are as follows:
From the junction of Rte. 13 in Brookline and the NH/MA border, north on Rte. 13 to Rte. 101 in Milford, north on Rte. 101 to I-293 in Manchester, east on I-293 to I-93, north on Rte. I-93 to Rte. 101 in Manchester, east on Rte. 101 to its junction with the Squamscott River in Exeter, north along the Squamscott River to Great Bay, north along the Strafford/Rockingham County line in Great and Little Bay to the NH/ME state line, east along the NH/ME state line to the Atlantic Ocean, south along the NH coast line to the NH/MA line, west along the NH/MA state line to its junction with Rte. 13 in Brookline.
*as listed in the N.H. Hunting and Trapping Digest