Beginning in 2014, hunters in New Hampshire have the opportunity to purchase special permits to take additional anterless deer in Wildlife Management Unit L. (Click here for WMU L boundaries.)
500 Special Antlerless Deer Permits were issued for WMU L in 2014
Special Unit L permits come with 1 deer tag and cost $13, plus a transaction fee.
Unit L Permits are no longer available online or by mail.
Unit M antlerless deer permits are still available - Click here for more information.
Why are Special Unit L Antlerless Only deer permits
Special Unit L antlerless-only permits are being issued by Fish and Game in an effort to stabilize the size of the deer herd in southeastern New Hampshire and minimize deer-human conflicts such as vehicle collisions and destructive browsing of ornamental plants. High deer densities and development make potential deer-human conflicts of greater concern in this region.
Unit L Application Guidelines:
- In 2014, up to 500 hunters were able to purchase Special Antlerless Deer Permits for WMU L.
- You may purchase one Unit M and one Unit L permit.
- Permits are sold on a first-come, first-served basis, when received, while supplies last. The cost is $13, plus a transaction fee.
M permits may be purchased online, at N.H. Fish and Game headquarters
in Concord, by using a mail-in application, or by calling 603-271-3422 to request a mail-in application.
- You must have a current New Hampshire hunting or archery license to apply.
- You may apply only once each year. Incomplete, illegible and duplicate applications will not be considered.
- The permit is for taking antlerless deer only.
- Deer may be taken in Unit L by any legal method during the
muzzleloader, firearms or archery season, as follows:
- an archery license is required to take a deer with a bow and arrow during the archery season;
- a muzzleloader license and a regular firearms hunting license are required to take a deer with a muzzleloader during the muzzleloader season; and
- a regular firearms hunting license is required to take a deer with a firearm during the regular firearms season.
- You may not take more than one deer at a time. If you are using a Special Unit L Permit, the first deer taken must be registered before you try to take another deer.
- Youth hunters (under age 16) may buy the special permits (click here for more details on youth hunting).
- Permit is valid ONLY in Wildlife Management Unit L. Boundaries are described below.
Boundaries of Wildlife Management Unit L*
are as follows:
Unit L: From the junction of I-93 & I-393 in Concord, east on I-393 to Rte. 4, east on Rte. 4 to Rte. 202 in Northwood, north on Rte. 202 to NH/ME state line, south along the NH/ME state line to Little Bay, south along the Rockingham/Strafford County line in Little & Great Bay to the Squamscott River, south along the Squamscott River to Rte. 101, west along Rte. 101 to I-93 in Manchester, south on I-93 to I-293, north on I-293 to I-93 to I-393 in Concord.
*as listed in the N.H. Hunting and Trapping Digest