Hunters in New Hampshire may purchase a special permit to take additional anterless deer in Wildlife Management Unit M.
New for 2010: Up to 4,000 hunters may purchase Special Antlerless Deer Permits for Wildlife Management Unit M. At the time of purchase, hunters may opt for a permit with 1 deer tag ($13) or two deer tags ($26). In addition, Special Antlerless Permits will not be valid for use by archers during September; archers can only use Special Antlerless Permits from October 1 - December 15. This is because of a new statewide requirement that only antlered deer may be taken by bow and arrow in September. Click here for more background on this change.
Unit M Antlerless-only deer permits are sold on a first-come, first-served basis in New Hampshire, while supplies last. Permits cost $13 with 1 deer tag, or $26 with two deer tags.
Please note: Special Unit M Antlerless-only Deer Permits for 2010 are now sold out. No permits are left.
Why are Special Unit M Antlerless Only deer permits
The special Unit M antlerless-only permits have been issued by Fish and Game since 1997 in an effort to stabilize the size of the deer herd in southeastern New Hampshire and minimize deer-human conflicts such as vehicle collisions and destructive browsing of ornamental plants. High deer densities and development make potential deer-human conflicts of greater concern in this region.
Why are Special Unit M Antlerless Only deer permits not valid in September? Click here for background.
Unit M Application Guidelines:
- In 2010, up to 4,000 hunters may purchase Special Antlerless Deer Permits for WMU M. At the time of purchase, hunters may opt for a permit with 1 deer tag ($13) or two deer tags ($26).
- Permits are sold on a first-come, first-served basis.
M permits may be purchased online, at N.H. Fish and Game headquarters
in Concord, or by using a mail-in application available on this website or by calling 603-271-3422.
- You must have a current New Hampshire hunting or archery license to apply.
- You may apply only once each year. Incomplete, illegible and duplicate applications will not be considered.
- The permit is for taking antlerless deer only.
- Deer may be taken in Unit M by any legal method during the
muzzleloader, firearms or archery season, as follows:
- an archery license is required to take a deer with a bow and arrow during the archery season (new for 2010: Unit M Antlerless Deer Permits may be used by archers ONLY from October 1 - December 15);
- a muzzleloader license and a regular firearms hunting license are required to take a deer with a muzzleloader during the muzzleloader season; and
- a regular firearms hunting license is required to take a deer with a firearm during the regular firearms season.
- You may not take more than one deer at a time. If you are using a Special Unit M Permit, the first deer taken must be registered before you try to take another deer.
- Youth hunters (under age 16) do not need a current hunting license to buy a special permit. (click here for more details on youth hunting).
- Permit is valid ONLY in
Wildlife Management Unit M. Unit M boundaries are described below.
Boundaries of Wildlife Management Unit M* are as follows:
From the junction of Rte. 13 in Brookline and the NH/MA border, north on Rte. 13 to Rte. 101 in Milford, north on Rte. 101 to I-293 in Manchester, east on I-293 to I-93, north on Rte. I-93 to Rte. 101 in Manchester, east on Rte. 101 to its junction with the Squamscott River in Exeter, north along the Squamscott River to Great Bay, north along the Strafford/Rockingham County line in Great and Little Bay to the NH/ME state line, east along the NH/ME state line to the Atlantic Ocean, south along the NH coast line to the NH/MA line, west along the NH/MA state line to its junction with Rte. 13 in Brookline.
*as listed in the N.H. Hunting Digest