FAQs for moose hunters in New Hampshire

Go to Moose Field Techniques and Game Care

How do I know if I won a moose permit?
Permittees and alternates for the N.H. moose hunt are chosen by random computer-generated lottery on the third Friday in June; results posted on the Fish and Game website that day. Successful applicants are notified by mail within 10 working days of the drawing.
When will I receive my permit?
Information packets are mailed in mid-August and permits are mailed in mid-September. If hunters do not receive their permit by September 30, they should contact the N.H. Fish and Game Wildlife Division at (603) 271-2461 or wildlife@wildlife.nh.gov to ensure that they have their permit and tag in hand prior to the hunt.
Where is my hunting unit?
Where can I find moose in my hunting unit?
Look around your unit for moose habitat and signs. In other words, SCOUT!
Scouting involves:
  1. Observing in order to obtain information or evaluate
  2. Exploring in order to obtain information
  3. Finding by making a search
Moose can be found throughout the state, but you can do some things to increase the likelihood that your scouting will be successful:
  • Look on your map for areas with fewer roads, or a lower density of roads. Start your search by going there and looking for forested areas. Be sure to get out of your car and walk the woodlots and clearcuts looking for signs of moose in the vicinity: tracks, scat, etc.
  • Concentrate on finding areas with upland hardwoods that are adjacent to clearcuts which are 1-10 years old, or 1-5 feet tall.
  • If you have no luck finding quality habitat or any signs of moose, you can try using local contacts to direct your scouting:
Where can I get topo maps or maps of state-owned land?
Fish and Game doesn't sell topo maps, but the DeLorme New Hampshire Atlas and Gazetteer is a good resource and shows most roads (including dirt roads), state lands, and some topo lines. The gazetteer may be purchased from the N.H. Fish and Game Department for $19.95 (plus $5 S&H) or through the DeLorme website for $19.95 (plus $5 S&H).
What are the moose hunt seminars?
Two voluntary seminars are held during the summer for those interested in getting first-hand information and ask questions. The seminars provide a wide range of information about the hunt to help you successfully harvest a moose. Specific topics covered include moose biology and management, moose habitat, cleaning and quartering, weapon selection, shot placement, hunt etiquette, current moose hunting regulations and landowner relations. If you are drawn for a permit, you'll be notified of the time, date and location of the seminars. They are held in the Concord, N.H. area.
Can I bring a friend to videotape my hunt?
Yes, you can bring someone other than the sub-permittee along with you on the moose hunt to take videos/photographs. However, this person is basically your shadow. They cannot participate in the hunt whatsoever and must be with the permittee at ALL TIMES. They can't point to moose sign or go off to another area for a better angle for the video/photos. For example, if the videographer were to go off on their own and were to push a moose out in front of you, they would be considered participating in the hunt, which could result in Law Enforcement getting involved. Until the moose is down and dead, it is the permittee and sub-permittee only that are to participate in the hunt. Once a moose is down, then you may have as many people helping to retrieve the animal as needed.
Where can I check in my moose?

Download "Moose Hunt Facts" to print a map and list of checkstations.

Moose check stations (for Mapquest map, click on the town name):

Berlin - Berlin Fish Hatchery
Durham - 37 Concord Rd., N.H. Fish and Game Regional Office
Hillsboro - Rte. 9, west of intersection with Rte. 31, Highway Garage
New Hampton - Rte. 132, N.H. Fish and Game Hatchery
Pittsburg - Rte. 3, just south of town and north of Indian Stream, Highway Garage
Twin Mountain
- Rte. 3, N.H. Fish and Game Hatchery

Check stations open on the day after the season closes:
N.H. Fish and Game Headquarters on Hazen Drive in Concord and Fish and Game regional offices in Lancaster, New Hampton, Durham and Keene.
What do I need to bring to the check station?
All hunters must bring all edible portions of the moose and the lower jaw. Hunters harvesting a bull must also bring either the skull plate (if the moose did not have antlers) or the intact antler rack from any antlered bull. Hunters harvesting a cow must bring the entire female reproductive tract, including the ovaries and mammary sac.
How long do I have to get to the check station?
You have 24 hours to bring your moose to the station after it has been shot.
Where can I buy a license?
Anyone who has held a hunting license in New Hampshire since 2000 may purchase a license directly through our online licensing site with a credit card (online license sales). Licenses may also be purchased at authorized license agents throughout New Hampshire (license agents by town). Or, licenses may be purchased through the mail from the Fish and Game Department (print-and-mail N.H. hunting license application form)
Can I purchase an apprentice hunting license for my N.H. moose hunt?
No. The apprentice hunting license is not valid for hunting moose.
I've never had a license in New Hampshire before. What are the hunter education requirements for obtaining a license?
All hunters are required to complete a hunter education course before purchasing a license. If you hold a hunting license from another state, this will be accepted in lieu of a hunter education certification. Courses are offered throughout the state -- find a class or learn about online course options. For more information, email: hunter-ed@wildlife.nh.gov or call 603-271-3214.
Do I have to buy my license before I get my permit?
No. The New Hampshire moose hunt regulations do not require you to have a license until you are actually hunting in October. However, if you (or anyone in your party) is a nonimmigrant alien, the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms has instituted regulations which require you to apply for importation of firearms. The ATF application requires you to submit a copy of your license in order to bring firearms into the United States; see https://www.atf.gov/content/firearms/firearms-industry/guides/import-requirements-for-firearms-and-ammunition. The ATF site states that it may take 4-6 weeks to process an application, so plan early if you intend to bring a firearm into the country.
Can I use my bow to hunt moose if I have a hunting license and not an archery license? Do I need a muzzleloader license if I want to use a muzzleloader?
If you intend to hunt only with your bow, you may use an archery license. You are encouraged, however, to purchase a regular hunting license. You may bow hunt with a regular hunting license, but you also have the option of using a firearm if you only encounter moose outside your range with a bow. You may also hunt with a muzzleloader if you possess a regular hunting license.
Where can I find the regulations about moose hunting?
Current moose rules may be found at the New Hampshire General Court website, www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rules/state_agencies/fis300.html. See Fis 301.02 for WMU boundaries; Fis 301.07 for the moose season; Fis 301.08 for moose registration at Biological Check Stations. Be aware that these regulations may be under revision and can change. The N.H. Fish and Game Department informs all moose permittees of the rules in force for the year in which they hunt.
How do I find a meat cutter to butcher my moose?
N.H. Fish and Game does not license wild game butchers and does not maintain a list of individuals who provide butchering services. For the convenience of our moose hunters, we have assembled a list of some individuals who are known to process moose meat -- click here. This is not a comprehensive list and should not be seen as an endorsement of the individuals listed. It is in your own best interest to investigate thoroughly before selecting a butcher. For additional assistance in locating a butcher, we suggest contacting local deer registration agents, sport or gun shops, fish and game clubs, and local license agents.
Is it safe to eat organs from my moose like the liver and heart?
Hunters are reminded to avoid consuming moose liver and kidney.  Studies conducted by N.H. Fish and Game and the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service have revealed high levels of cadmium in some of the moose livers and kidneys sampled.  As a result, officials from the Environmental Health Program at the N.H. Department of Environmental Services (NHDES) recommend that no moose kidney be eaten, and preferably no liver.  If individuals do choose to eat moose liver, it should be from moose no older than 1.5 years.  If the moose is older than that, consumption should be limited to a maximum of two meals (assuming six ounces per meal) of moose liver per year.  Biologists at the moose check stations can determine the age of the animal for hunters.  Further questions about the issue of cadmium in moose organs may be directed to David Gordon, NHDES Environmental Health Program: (603) 271-4608. It is okay to eat the heart, because the heart is not a filtering organ and therefore is not contaminated by these heavy metals.
Is it dangerous to eat meat from an animal that had brainworm? What about meat with spots or cysts?
If you have questions, the following websites contain useful information about moose disease:
What else can I hunt while I'm in New Hampshire?
All open seasons are listed in the current N.H. Hunting Digest.
Where can I get more information about the moose hunt?
  • For tips on scouting in particular areas, contact local hunters, local Fish and Game clubs, taxidermists, deer registration stations or online hunting forums, such as www.nesportsman.com, or www.biggamehunt.com.
  • For any questions on licenses, or permits other than your moose permit, contact Fish and Game Licensing at 603-271-3422.
  • For any questions on the rules and regulations of the hunt, contact Fish and Game Law Enforcement at 603-271-3127 (email: law@wildlife.nh.gov)
  • To get in touch with a local Conservation Officer, contact Law Enforcement Dispatch: 603-271-3361
  • For any questions on your moose permit, the moose seminars, or general information about the hunt, contact Wildlife: 603-271-2461 (email: wildlife@wildlife.nh.gov)
  • For information specific to your WMU, contact the appropriate regional Fish and Game office:
    • Region 1, Lancaster (603-788-3164, reg1@wildlife.nh.gov): WMUs A1, A2, B, C1, C2, D1, D2, E1, E2
    • Region 2, New Hampton (603-744-5470, reg2@wildlife.nh.gov): WMUs D2, E1, E2, E3, F, G, H1, I1, I2, J1, J2
    • Region 3, Durham (603-868-1095): WMUs J2, K, L, M
    • Region 4, Keene (603-352-9669): WMUs H1, H2N, H2S, I1, I2, K
How long has New Hampshire had a moose hunt?
As part of a sound management strategy, the moose hunt has been an annual event in New Hampshire since 1988. The moose population, which was only approximately 50 animals in 1950, had grown to over 4,100 by the time of the first moose hunt in 1988, when 75 permits were issued, primarily for the northern parts of the state. The success rate for that first year of the moose hunt was about 76 percent. In recent years, New Hampshire's moose population is estimated to be approximately 4,000 moose.
Other useful websites

About Us
NH Fish and Game Dept.
11 Hazen Drive
Concord, NH 03301

top bottom background image