Commercial Fish Hatcheries in New Hampshire

New Hampshire has commercial fish hatcheries that provide fish for private pond stocking and fishing tournaments (derbies). They are licensed by the state for the current year, but they are not part of the state’s hatchery or fish stocking program. If you want to purchase fish for a private pond or a fishing tournament, please contact a commercial hatchery (listed below) directly.

All fish released into any body of water must have a Permit to Release (Fis 805.02(a) - (see bottom of page) with the exception of brook, brown and rainbow trout that are being released into “closed systems” (Fis 807.04(e)).
Frequently Asked Questions

Q: Where can I buy fish for my private pond?
A: Any private licensed commercial aquaculture facility.

Q: Can I purchase fish from a hatchery source outside of NH?
A: Yes, but it will require an Importation of Fish/Wildlife permit (Fis 803.13) and must be accompanied by a Fish Health Certification (Fis 805.03) prior to approval for importation or release.

Q. Do I need a permit to release for a kids fishing tournament?
A. Not if the fish are purchased from within NH and the species released are brook, brown or rainbow trout. You will need to apply for a permit to conduct a kids fishing tournament application.

Q. Can I capture fish from the wild to stocking into a private pond?
A. No.


Updated June 3, 2013

Instate Hatcheries


Telephone Number

Sumner Brook Fish Farm
RR 277 Route 16
Ossipee, NH 03864

Brook Brown and Rainbow Trout, fee fishing

603-673-0233 C
Dick Prunier

31 Reed’s Mill Road
Plainfield, NH 03781

Brook trout and Rainbow Trout

Fee Fishing

Mark Fisk

Clarksville Trout Hatchery
Kim Joyce
231 Crawford Rd
Clarksville, NH 03592

Brook & Rainbow Trout


Richard Fisher
Depot Rd & Holt Road
Epping, NH 03042

Koi, Bass, Trout, Tilapia

603- 289-1129

David Blaisedell Jr.
2037 Rte 114
Bradford NH 03221



Charles Kalil
West Side Road
Bartlett, NH

Trout, Salmon & Smelt


Important rules related to fish culture and stocking

Fis 805.02  Permits To Release Wildlife.

(a)  No live wildlife designated as controlled, the eggs or progeny thereof, shall be released without a permit to release wildlife or except as otherwise permitted under RSA 207:1-a, 214:34-d, and 209-A:3, IV or unless the release of wildlife is specifically permitted under another permit such as birds for regulated shooting areas or individual training and shooting permits or fish for kid’s tournaments under this chapter.

Fis 807.04  Conditions of the Inland Aquaculture License.

e)  Aquaculture licensees shall be subject to the requirements for importing and releasing fish under Fis 803 and 805 except that aquaculture licensees may stock brook trout, rainbow trout, or brown trout from their facility into  non-public bodies of water that are closed systems without a permit to release fish.

About Us
NH Fish and Game Dept.
11 Hazen Drive
Concord, NH 03301

top bottom background image