Project WILD and Project WILD Aquatic
Project WILD is an international supplementary wildlife education curriculum available to teachers who participate in a six-hour workshop. It is a set of lively, hands-on, diverse and instructionally sound education activities offered in the form of a guide for teachers. Activity-based, Project WILD is a great help in the teaching of conservation and environmental education concepts.
Targeting classroom teachers and non-formal educators of K-12 students, Project WILD activities focus on wildlife and are both interactive and interdisciplinary. As students are intrinsically interested in wildlife, they readily engage in learning when it's related to wildlife. The Project WILD manual is full of activities relating to terrestrial wildlife, while the WILD Aquatic manual focuses on wildlife that lives in aquatic environments.
Each Project WILD activity has been classroom tested and includes objectives, method background, evaluation suggestions, recommended grade level, school subjects, skills, duration, group size, setting, concepts and key vocabulary. There is no need to be a wildlife expert to incorporate the activities into your curriculum, as all the related background content necessary to comfortably lead each activity is included.
Wild activities are organized around a conceptual framework which addresses these major themes:
- Awareness and Appreciation of Wildlife
- Human Values and Wildlife
- Wildlife and Ecological Systems
- Wildlife Conservation
- Cultural and Social Interaction with Wildlife
- Wildlife Issues and Trends: Alternatives and Consequences
- Wildlife, Ecological Systems and Responsible Human Actions
Administered internationally by the Council for Environmental Education, Project WILD is sponsored in New Hampshire by the Fish and Game Department and is offered via workshops at locations throughout the state. If you are interested in hosting or attending a workshop, contact the Project WILD coordinator at Fish and Game headquarters at firstname.lastname@example.org or at 603-271- 6649 . There is a registration fee for Project Wild workshops.
N.H. State Curriculum Frameworks Correlations:
Project WILD and Project WILD Aquatic activities have been correlated to the New Hampshire Curriculum Frameworks. These correlations can be used as a guide in curriculum planning efforts. Each correlation contains the title of the activity, objectives, methods, grade level, subject matter, corresponding frameworks and evaluation ideas.
- Project WILD and Project WILD Aquatic Correlations NH Frameworks For English Language Arts (K-12)
- Project WILD and Project WILD Aquatic Correlations NH Frameworks For Science Literacy (K-12)
- Project WILD and Project WILD Aquatic Correlations NH Frameworks For Mathematics (K-12)
- Project WILD and Project WILD Aquatic Correlations NH Frameworks for Social Studies (K-12)